2019 La Ventana Classic
Compete in a variety of spectacular “downwind” races during the La Ventana Classic!!!
Each day brings an adventurous paddle and excellent chance to race with the wind at your back.
Run with the group on the amazing and most scenic Las Cruces Downwinder (8 Miles), cross the Sea of Cortez from Jacque Cousteau Island (Cerralvo Island Crossing - 11 miles) and enjoy several mini-downwinder courses that are set along the beautiful La Ventana Baja Sur coast.
Enter either COMPETITOR CLASS (earn individual points in each race to claim hard cash, boards/paddles prizes and commemorative LVC trophies) or SPORTSMAN CLASS (compete for great sponsor prizes and event tropies).
12’6” and 14’ board categories available for men & women in both Competitor and Sportsman classes.
Register as either SUP Competitor or SUP Sportsmen:
- SUP Competitor compete for, cash, SUP Boards and paddles.
- SUP Sportsman / Sportswoman class will be competing for great sponsor prizes and trophies.
- 12' 6" and under and 14' board categories open in both Competitor and Sportsmen divisions.
- Overall points system set up for SUP Competitor division. Racers earn points based upon individual placing in the variety of races during the La Ventana Classic. Prizes & awards for top overall point scorers and first place finishers,
- Board rules for all races: no rudders, keels, dagger boards, kites, sails or motors.
- Need help transporting your board to/from San Diego? We can do it for $165 USD round trip from San Diego to La Ventana, Baja, and back.
- No rudders, keels, dagger boards, kites, sails, motors or hand paddles.
- SUP Competitors and SUP Sportsman must utilize board leashes for safety and personal floatation devices (PFDs).
- All races will be beach start and beach finishes.
- LVC provides escort and safety boats for all races.
- Please make sure you are prepared for open ocean paddling (competent swimmer) have necessary equipment for safety (personal floatation devise PFD and board safety leash) and equipped with hydration pack and proper apparel.
RACES OF THE LA VENTANA CLASSIC
Las Cruces Downwinder
8-mile “downwinder” along the rugged Baja coast from the fabulously scenic Las Cruces Ranch Resort near La Paz. We transport you upwind and you run the gauntlet downwind on the La Ventana wind machine. Hoping for wind in the 15-25 knots range and scheduled for the windiest afternoon of the event - Big and Juicy!
2019 The Crossing
Test yourself with this open ocean channel crossing from Cerralvo Island (Jacque Cousteau Island) back to La Ventana (10.5 miles). All competitors ride official race pangas to the island and then prepare for a challenging crossing. We will attempt to schedule this race on a no wind morning. Wind direction will be a broad reach with wind coming over each racers starboard side.
The most fun 4-mile coastal downwinder sprint from the Hot Springs (Agua Caliente) event site to Baja Joe’s. A great race for both Competitor and Sportsman classes. Racers will break free in the La Ventana swells and enjoy the howling wind to Baja Joes (and enjoy tasty Mexican cerveza at the finish line).
Warm up your game with a short buoy course. We will attempt to schedule this race on a no wind morning. Beach start and a finish that involves running up the beach and grabbing a numbered stick.
SUP COMPETITOR CLASS - Overall Points System
Combined results for Las Cruces, The Crossing, Downwinder Sprint, and Course Race: